Communications & Power Industries (CPI), headquartered in Palo Alto, California, is a global manufacturer of electronic components and subsystems focused primarily on communications and defense markets. With a heritage of technological excellence that spans decades, CPI develops, manufactures and globally distributes innovative and reliable technology solutions used in the generation, amplification, transmission and reception of microwave signals for commercial and military applications. CPI serves customers in the communications, defense, medical, industrial and scientific markets. The company has manufacturing locations in the United States, Canada, Europe and Asia, and sales, service and engineering offices around the world.
The Structural Engineer will perform structural analysis of foundations, shelters, antennas and components to ensure the strength and stiffness requirements are met while complying with applicable codes and regulations. He will also assist engineers in the design of structures and other components to ensure codes, regulations and best practices are followed.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities of the Job
Under general supervision:
• Perform structural analysis of antenna and feed structures, foundations and civil works to ensure all applicable requirements and regulations are met. (50%)
• Assist engineers in material selection and design of structures and other components as required. (20%)
• Review changes in structural codes and recommend changes to designs and products to conform to these codes. (20%)
• Conduct reviews of statements of work and other requirements to recommend design actions to meet them. (10%)
The Structural Engineer is responsible for performing structural analysis of foundations, shelters, antennas and components to ensure the strength and stiffness requirements are met while complying with applicable codes and regulations. The results of these analysis will be used to determine the viability and cost of the projects.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
• Proficient in performing structural analysis with and without the use of specialized software.
• Proficient in the use of ANSYS structural analysis software.
• Knowledge of Structural Engineering codes in the United States and the ability to become familiar with international and foreign codes as required by different projects.
Minimum job requirements (including degrees, licenses and/or certifications):
• Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Structural or Mechanical engineering from an accredited college or university.
Preferred job requirements:
• Professional Engineering License
• Proficiency in structural analysis of carbon fiber components.
• Knowledge of thermal analysis of mechanical components.
Internal and External Contacts
This position interacts with mechanical and electrical engineers, as well as sales engineers and management personnel.
This position requires potential access to technology controlled under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). The successful candidate must be a “U.S. Person” as defined under ITAR and EAR. In order to be a U.S. Person for ITAR and EAR purposes, you must (i) be a citizen or national of the United States; or (ii) be a lawful permanent resident of the United States; or (iii) a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
CPI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.