Reporting Manager: Supervisor/Lead
Security Clearance Required: None
We are actively seeking an experienced Test Engineer to join our multi-disciplined engineering team. The Test Engineer will be focused on the engineering work required to ensure our products are fully tested with both efficiency and rigor when they are manufactured. Our ideal candidate has a strong engineering background with proven experience in both hardware, software, and automated electronics testing. The successful candidate will be a key contributor to the success of our business by ensuring product compliance and reliability.
The Test Engineer must have a passion and willingness to work with and learn from other highly skilled engineers to expand their domain-specific knowledge in complex microwave communication systems. A successful candidate must be willing to share their expertise with other members of the team with particular emphasis on mentoring less-experienced team members. The applicant must be willing to document and share their experiences with the rest of the team. Good communication is key in this role and applicants unwilling to share their knowledge, process, and results openly with the team will not be considered.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities of the Job
• Develop test systems and test automation for digital and Radio Frequency (RF) and Microwave communications equipment
• Analyze the test requirements for a product and specify test equipment requirements and procedures
• Design, build, and optimize test fixtures
• Testing and debugging of engineering prototypes
• Design, test, and debug software for test automation and data management
• Develop and document test procedures and methods for test report generation
• Review results of test implementation
• Communicate with the design team about test requirements and any issues clearly and openly
• Work cooperatively as part of an interdisciplinary engineering team to bring new products to manufacturing
• Support other engineering functions as needed in the design process with deliverables such as test fixtures, special test firmware, etc.
• Participation in the improvement of the organizational processes and documentation
• Basic electronic design skills (circuit design and analysis)
• Basic knowledge of RF and Microwave communications concepts
• Ability to read and interpret electrical schematics and specifications
• Underlying background knowledge of the electronics manufacturing process
• Hands-on prototyping skills (soldering, wiring, light mechanical assembly)
• Basic knowledge of RF components: active devices, mixers, filters, circulators, isolators, attenuators, transmission lines, etc.
• Basic understanding of RF instrumentation, including: RF synthesizers and sources, RF power meters, spectrum analyzers, network analyzers, noise figure meters, and etc.
• Knowledge of test instrumentation automation interfaces (i.e. GPIB, LXI, etc)
• Knowledge and awareness of power and RF safety practices and methods, awareness of power limitations at instrumentation interfaces
• Basic programming experience (preferably Python Scripting)
• Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and the use of Sharepoint
• Good communication skills and a willingness to share knowledge
• Ability to multi-task
Minimum job requirements:
• BS in Electrical engineering, Computer engineering or Computer Science.
• Five years of related work experience
Preferred job requirements
• Strong engineering design background with proven experience in both hardware, software, and automated electronics testing.
• Mid-Career to Senior level work experience.
• Primarily in office setting. Sitting & standing
• Travel may be required
Beyond the basic required skills, additional consideration will be given to applicants who have experience in the following areas:
• Experience with Labview instrument control
• Experience with PyVISA Python instrument control package
• Knowledge of specialized RF/Microwave performance attributes including: gain, gain compression, intermodulation (tonal, spectral re-growth, noise-power ratio, adjacent channel power ratio), spurious product generation, phase noise, etc.
• Knowledge of RF tuning and optimization methods
• Knowledge of digital/RF and hardware/software integration
• Understanding of equipment compliance testing concepts (e.g. FCC, CE Compliance testing requirements)
• Understanding of embedded controllers, ability to support firmware debugging,
• Agile design experience
• Embedded software design (C, C++)
• Experience with firmware/software source control practices (Git, Microsoft DevOps)
• Experience with community documentation paradigm (e.g. Wiki Knowledge Base)
• CAN communications protocol
• National Instruments Labview applications
• Working knowledge of relational database models including SQL
• Simple html coding
CPI values the contributions of a diverse workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer